Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I'm Just One Good Stomach Virus Away From my Target Weight

So we were halfway to DC to visit our youngest daughter when the phone rang.

“G just threw up in my bed” my youngest said to her mother and me, referring to her oldest daughter, “Must be some kind of stomach virus.”

Quick, think, can we just turn around and go home??

No, of course not, G is expecting us to be there when she wakes up in the morning. Ugh. Plus, now we’re “needed” more than ever.

We rang off with “Call if you need us to stop and get anything before we get there.”

Yuck. Nobody wants to head into stomach virus land, but sometimes you have no choice, so you bite the bullet, cross your fingers, wash your hands and hope.

And then you spend the ride home trying not to expel your dinner out one end or the other.

The weekend was great. It’s always fun to see the grandkids and just hang out. We had some things on the agenda, but mostly the plan was baking and eating and then a couple of workouts for me. Saturday was the bad weather day, so I switched my Sunday run to Saturday. I was planning on nine, but my pace and my knee were both good so I ended up doing just under ten in the time allotted. It was one of the better runs I’ve had in a while. I found a nice mix of road and trail and I even worked in two hills. This is the fastest I’ve run in a while so the recovery week that I’ve just finished must have done me some good.

Fortunately G’s stomach issues were relatively short lived and she was a real trooper. By the time Sunday rolled around she was pretty much back to normal, playing outside in her new sandbox and shooting some hoops. Sunday was swim / ride, but the pool I was expecting to use was closed and the alternate did not open until noon. Thus the swim did not get swum. The ride, however, was awesome. The weather was in the high 40s and the sun was out. I was properly dressed, unlike AZ a couple of weeks ago, so I was comfortable on the downhill / flat sections and hot when I had to climb. I rode an easy 30 miles with a reasonable amount of elevation change. This was my third outside ride in February, which is a pretty big deal for me, since I live in the north east. Woot!

Oh, right, almost forgot about the stomach bug thing. We left for home at about 5:30 on Sunday and by the time we got to Breezewood (halfway) I knew something was wrong. I’ll spare you the yucky details, but I will share that I made it home with not a second to spare. I spent Monday in bed and on the couch, skipping my swim. I skipped today as well. I’m still tired and I don’t want to share what I had with anyone else via the local pool. You’re all welcome.

I think I’ll get back at it tomorrow and see how I feel. Thankfully this seems to have been a 24 hour thing, so no harm, no foul. If not tomorrow, I’ll be back on Thursday for my long swim.

So how about you, any stories of sickness or health that are worth sharing?

No comments:

Post a Comment